Sunday, January 1, 2012

Eggs benedict the breakfast of champions, or best hang over food ever.

So we just got back from visiting my inlaws yesterday.  We were all tired after the drive and didn't want to go do a full grocery trip.  The wonderful husband went shopping for me and got the stuff to make the best breakfast in the world.  EGGS BENEDICT!!!!  Did you know these babies are like 9 bucks or more in a restaurant?  That is insane.  I am pretty sure we didn't spend 9 bucks on all the ingredients for the whole family to have them.

Did you know that eggs benedict is a perfect hangover food?  It has carbs, good fats, protein, and tastes amazing.  Have it with some fruit ( we served it with honey dew melon) and some oj and coffee and you have an IHOP worthy meal.  Only better, and cheaper. 


Pretty huh?  So how do we do it?  First get your ingredients together.  You will need eggs, English muffins, American cheese ( or whatever kind you like)Canadian bacon or thick sliced ham ( I have also used thin sliced breakfast pork chops that were cooked through) a package of hollandaise sauce ( you will need milk and butter for this), and some white vinegar.

Normally I make our own English muffins, but we had just gotten home so I cheated and bought pre made ones.  I always use a packet of hollandaise because it is too expensive to make from scratch unless you are making a ton of it.  So first thing you want to do is get your eggs ready to poach.  People always think poached eggs are hard to do, but even my 7 year old can do them.  Now, mine never turn out perfectly round, but I like that they look like actual eggs instead of perfect little round disks.  It always makes me wonder what exactly they are doing to my food when eggs come like that.  But I am just weird. 

Set a heave bottomed large skillet that is about half full of water and add a splash of vinegar.  You use the vinegar to make the white part cook faster so your egg stays in one piece instead of spreading out everywhere.  Do not worry, you will not have vinegar eggs. Set the heat on med high to get a good simmer.

While you wait slice your muffins and toast them so they are crunchy.  As soon as they are toasted top with your cheese slices and set aside. If you are heating your meat in a skillet start that now.  I did it in the microwave.  When the water is ready and before you add the eggs start your sauce.  Or it will not be done at the same time and your kids will whine it is not all hot.  Seriously, they will whine a lot. Also, do yourself a favor and follow the half water half milk directions for a creamier sauce.  Just trust me on that. 

Once your water is at a good simmer just below a boil crack your eggs into the water and turn the water off immediately.  Only let your eggs stay in the water 2 to 3 minutes or you will over cook them.  I have never tried to take pictures while poaching eggs before so I overcooked these today.  Thankfully, my family is awesome and ate them with a minimum of complaints. 
Your yolks will still be runny if you do it right.  when you take them out you can rinse them in cold water and then set them on a paper towel for a moment to dry.  Heat your meat up in the microwave if you didn't use the stove earlier.  Here are the eggs being rinsed.
  Set them on a paper towel for a moment while you try to figure out where all of your plates will fit on your counter.  Add a poached egg to each half of a muffin that has cheese and meat on it.



Now add some sauce.  I do not actually like eggs, but the family does.  Here are pictures of them with and without eggs.

 You can not tell but the ones on the heart plate are the really thin slcied bread things you can get .  I had GBPS about 2 years ago and I do not eat bread very often.  But I will eat a little for these.  As usual I forget I can not eat but one half of these so I gave myself too much on my plate.

If you cook the eggs to long because you are trying to get the flash to work right on your camera the eggs will look like this.  The yolks should be runny, not like a soft boiled egg.  OOPS!!  I guess the moral of the story is to not take a bunch of pictures while you cook before you have coffee in the morning. 

This will hopefully inspire you to try one of the most awesome breakfasts on the planet.  It is a fantastic way to impress your mother in law, or date if you need to cook for them.  Or just to feel fancy in your fuzzy pj pants and bunny slippers.

No comments:

Post a Comment