Thursday, January 5, 2012

Indian red beans and rice IN THE CROCK POT!!!!!

 Today I asked my three year old what he would like for dinner.  I gave him options and he picked red beans and rice.  He turned down pizza for red beans and rice.  He is not right.  We all love Cajun food and I had been craving some Indian spices.  So this is what I tossed in the crock pot.  My crock is a 6 quart.  This made a LOT of food.  I will be freezing some of it most likely. 

2 cans red beans drained and rinsed
1 can coconut milk
1 can diced tomatoes.
3 cloves garlic (or 3 teaspoons pre chopped stuff)
2 med onions ( or one med and 3 green )
3 drops coconut extract
3 cups of chicken broth
1 package smoked sausage ( I only had cheddar wurst)
2 cups brown ( or white) rice ( I hear basmati is much better for this)
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tablespoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper ( adjust this to your preferred  level of spice)
1 teaspoon salt ( I use iodized sea salt)

Mix all of the canned stuff in your crock.dump in your chopped veggies. Add your meat, and spices.  Stir them up well, and add your dry rice stir well again. 

Cook on low for about 8 hours
This turned out so amazing!!

The kids absolutely loved this.  They BOTH ate seconds.  I added extra red pepper flakes to my serving and then some hot sauce.  The hot sauce made it less indian flavored.  Next Time I will use more Garam Masala.  We served it with salad, and yogurt for dessert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment