Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Zuppa Toscana in the crock pot

My mom came into town.  I think it is impossible to travel with out feeling like you have been beaten with a stick.  We love Olive Garden, and wanted something that was not too heavy.  So I made Zuppa Toscana. in my crock pot.  If you have never had it... you are missing out.  It is basically Italian potato soup.  And it is wonderful! 
  I was not good about taking pictures today. I went to a few different stores and just sort of hung out.  Then I remembered my family thinks I need to feed them every day.... Seriously, it's like I am the mom or something. 

 My husband asks me what is for dinner sometimes.  I am thinking about printing this, framing it, and hanging it in my kitchen. 

That is how I felt today.  That is how I feel every day.  MWAHAHAHAHAHA Anyway. Even though I was bad and took almost no pictures I think it is pretty easy anyway.  It is super.  And I used ground beef that I cooked the other day and froze.  I like to do that because then I have all sorts of stuff to make dinner easier when I have no idea what to make and I need something fast.  Pre cooked ground beef is awesome if you want to make pasta, or pizza, or even sloppy joe's, or this soup. 

What you need:

2 cloves minced garlic
    2 cups chopped Kale or Swiss Chard
    2 cans Chicken Broth
    1 qt. Water
    1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
    1 lb. Italian Sausage or ground beef cooked and drained.
    2 large Russet Baking Potatoes sliced in 1/4 inch slices
    1 chopped large Onion
    1 small bag of Real Bacon Bits
     grated Parmesan cheese.

     Salt and pepper to taste
What you do:

Slice your potatoes and place them in your crock pot. Add your garlic and onion then the water and broth.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5.  The last hour add your bacon bits, whipping cream, and kale.  Turn on high and cook for the last hour.  If it is simmering cook on low foe the last hour. Top with cheese and serve.
The first step in the crock, at the beginning.
The end result.  I like it a little more spicy so I added red pepper flakes. 
I served this with a big salad and some home made Caramelized onion sourdough bread.  My son dipped his ham and cheese sandwich in his soup and then ate the meat and dumped it in his lap.  I didn't even cry.  My daughter, husband, mom and myself all thought it turned out very well.  It was very very close to the soup Olive garden makes. 

You should make this.  It is pretty darn good.  It is filling enough to stand on its own I think, but I like to force my family to eat veggies when ever I can.  If you like your soup to be thicker you can add 2 tablespoons of flour at the beginning and stir it really well. 

I hope you enjoy it.  It is even better the next day. 

Just for some drool worthy picture....
The caramelized onion whole wheat sour dough bread. 
The bread was amazing, and even the kids liked it.  I can share the recipe if anyone is interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment