Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Apple and bannana chips

I have not been feeling well yesterday and today, but I know I need to feed my family anyway.  Thankfully I still had some leftovers from the noodle free pasta from 2 days ago.  I did decide to break out my newest kitchen toy.  My mom got me a food dehydrator for Christmas.  I decided to go ahead and start the process for apple and banana chips today.  Healthy snacks are always something I try to keep on hand. 

I like to make my own because I know that there are no additives that I do not want and I know how healthy it is.  Also, it saves us some money.  I used 4 apples and I started with 3 bananas.  However, I think probably only 2 got used.  I am not sure and there is no way to tell how much banana a hungry 3 year old shoved in his mouth while I was slicing.  This kid LOVES bananas.

 I cored and sliced up four apples.  The slices were around 1/4 inch thick.  I treated the slices with about 30 minutes in a ball treatment and water bath ( but lemon juice works just as well) so they would not get too dark.  Then I patted them dry and sprinkled with splenda and cinnamon.  Toss them on for about 8 to 10 hours and when they are crispy they are done. 



Soaking in the water.

Sprinkled with splenda and cinnamon. 


As for the bananas I sliced them into 1/4 inch slices.  Then I made a mix of 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup honey and I added 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon ( that is optional though).  Tossed the slices in the mixture, and scooped them out with a fork so most of the solution fell off.  Placed them on a rack for about 10 hours.

What you need.
Maybe 2 1/2 bananas ready to cook. 

This is a lot like cooking with the crock pot.  I can fix it and walk away without having to mess with it much. 

They are so good and so healthy.  The minion love them and beg for "one more, please" when ever we have them.  Today was a duty day, so I had very few dishes from meals.  We always mess up so many more when we are all here.  It worked out very nicely to have just a few dishes.

And they are all done!!  YUMM

Notice how some are missing?  That is because the minion were grabbing hand fulls as I was taking pictures. 

Later this week I will be baking bread.  So be watching for my post about why everyone should have a bread maker ( even though I never use it to bake the bread) and my special sandwich loaf recipe.  I am going to go snuggle with the minion.  I hope you all have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment