Thursday, March 8, 2012

Fresh made salsa verde (it looks hard, but was really easy. I promise)

So last night I did the chicken taco meat in the crockpot and decided I wanted salsa verde with it.  I mean, chicken tacos NEED lime juice and salsa verde.  I felt icky, and seriously looked at the pre-made jars.  The price was low, the effort... beyond minimal.  Pop the jar open and spoon some out.  I mean come on, what is not to love.  Then I remembered.  The taste is not there, the fresh ingredients, not there.  So I sucked it up and made enough to can.  Do NOT freak out.  Canning is painfully easy.  I recommend buying the ball canning kit, the big book of canning for Ball and checking out http://www.pickyourown.org/ .  This website is a wonderful resource for what you can and can not do, how to find places to pick fruits, and veggies how to grow them, and so much more.  If you have EVER thought about canning your own stuff, this is a good place to get info. 

So I made this :
Are you jealous yet?
So what do YOU need to make fabulous easy home made salsa verde?  It sounds like a lot, but it is not.  and this makes a LOT.  But you can freeze it or can it and it is great and so fresh when you open it back up.
Ingredients:
2 Pounds of Tomatillos ( take the husks off) sliced or quartered
1 onion ( cut into chunks)
2 teaspoons of garlic.
2 small cans of green chilies ( or serano) I used Trader Joe's fire roasted style
4 tablespoons of cilantro ( fresh if possible)
2 tablespoons of oregano ( or up the cilantro)
1 teaspoon of cumin
2 chicken bullion cubes ( optional)
2 teaspoons of salt ( to taste)
1 cup of vinegar
juice of 2 limes ( or about 1/3 cup of lemon or lime juice concentrate)


I know.... it looks overwhelming.  But it is not.  The hardest part is trying to explain to your three year old that those are NOT apples and to please not run off with them to try to eat them.  We eat a lot of granny smith apples in this house.  Then you have to remove the limes from his little hands and tell him that he may have an orange, but these are not oranges.  Then try to ignore the wails from your sick child as you follow these easy directions.

So first husk, dehusk?,  whatever to the tomatillos.  Then cut them into quarters or slices.  Whatever makes you happy.  Cut the onion into manageable chunks as well.  I have a BIG blender so I was able to do this in two batches.  Anyway you blend your tomatillos, cilantro, onion, garlic and some vinegar then add it to your large pot that you have a lid for. 
Its kind of pretty.


After you blend it add the rest of your ingredients ( lime, salt, oregano, bullion, and cumin).  Bring it to a boil then lower the temperature, cover and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. 




Now. if you are going to can it put it in your warm ( sterilized) jars.  Fill to about 1/4 inch from the top.  Wipe rims put the new ( sterilized/boiled/dishwashered) lids on and finger tighten the rings.  Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes then set out so they can cool off. 

A tip for juicing limes ( or lemons) is to roll them on the counter for a few minutes ( use pressure) and then cut them and squeeze them.  If you have any questions about what I did here, please feel free to ask in the comments below... I would be excited to know that people actually look at this blog.   This salsa also freezes beautifully.  Just be sure it it totally cooled off before you put it in the freezer. 

This is a recipe that I would trust my seven year old to do the majority of.  She can cut veggies and measure alone.  I would be present for the boiling because it will splatter.  If you try it, let me know how it turns out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment