Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Did ya miss me?! Chicken Taco meat

So I have a new computer.  It is a MacBook Pro.  I really like it a lot.  I am cooking again, and am ready to start sharing it with you.
 
I have been really really sick lately.  And I have been craving GOOD Mexican food.  I lived in McAllen Texas for a year of so when Ivy was a baby.  I didn't speak enough Spanish and it was hard, but MAN WAS THE FOOD GREAT!  I have been wanting tacos like you get at the street stands when you cross the border into Mexico.  Its a little too far to drive so I decided to make my own chicken in the crock pot.  I am so stuffed I can't really smell anything, but sometimes I get a whiff of it and wow! Usually I would mix the seasoning and cut all the veggies myself.  But I just want to sleep.  So I cheated today and used pre-made stuff.

Ingredients:
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 container of pico de gallo
2 pounds of chicken (breast or thighs)
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of olive oil

 Sprinkle the taco seasoning in the bottom of your crock. 

Put your chicken on top and turn it over to get it on both sides of the chicken.
Then dump your pico de gallo on top of the chicken.
Add your oil and water by pouring it on top of the pico.

Let it cook on low for five to six hours.
 It will look like this when it is done.  Shred it up and put it back in the liquid and set it on warm for another hour. 




You can cut it in half if you want to.  I made so much because I like to freeze it and half extra for other meals later. 

We had chicken tacos.  I will be turning the rest into taquitos later this week and freezing them for duty day dinners.  I made home made salsa verde to go with it ( I will post it tomorrow) and served it with refried beans and corn and salad.  My kids ate it all and asked for seconds.  SECONDS!!!  Can you believe it?! 

My son is sick as well.  He made cooking hard today, and then he tried to help.  I am so very lucky to have such wonderful kids.  Also the hubbs said you should make this.  You should make it today!

No comments:

Post a Comment